Vardan Stepanyan – Yerevan Office and Kyiv Office
Vardan is a corporate and finance lawyer with private practice experience on Armenian legal market since 2001 and in Ukraine since 2009. He is the Managing Director of K&P Law Firm and is heading Banking and Finance teams of the firm. Vardan also contributes to the firms M&A, Securities and Corporate Finance, Competition and Tax law matters. His private practice focuses on financial institutions, Insurance, Energy and Mining as well as Media and Entertainment industries.
He has extensive experience in banking and finance work and in restructuring and insolvency, with an in-depth knowledge of Armenian, Ukrainian and international law and practice and of complex international finance transactions. He has advised and lead K&P teams in numerous transactions involving syndicated finance, project finance, trade finance, IPOs, debt restructuring, requisition finance and settlements.
• Consulted Unibank OJSC Armenia in its processes of Initial public offering in particular drafting of the Prospectus and its presentation and registration with the Central Bank,
• Consults C-Quadrat Ampega Asset Management Armenia (a subsidiary of C-Quadrat Investment AG, Austria, and Talanx Asset Management GmbH, Germany) on market entry, company establishment matters and implementation of new businesses, obtainment of respective permits and licenses from CBA, advised on pension law and investment fund regulation matters in Armenia, relations with Central Bank of Armenia, Central Depository and other stakeholders.
• Advised VTB Russia with respect to a large financing project for Teghout CJSC including advising on securing the interests of the Bank under the transaction, drafting of financing agreements and documents with consideration of energy sector legislation;
• Provided consulting to Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) OJSC (a major Russian mobile telecommunication systems operator) during its acquisition of one of the two mobile operators in Armenia. Services included due diligence of Armenia Telephone Company (Armentel) CJSC in cooperation with Latham & Watkins LLP and PriceWaterhouseCoopers;
• Provided legal consulting and assistance to the shareholders of Armimpex Bank CJSC (currently Ameriabank) in relation with sale of the Bank shares to a foreign investor and in the M&A process.
• Acted as counsel for KfW (German development bank) in the negotiations in relation to granting of collateral for a loan extended by KfW to ArmRusGasprom CJSC. Advised KfW on Energy Law related matters, and reviewed the collateral arrangements with specific reference to further securing the interests of KfW under the Loan agreement with ArmRusGasprom CJSC.
• Consulted Mary Kay Inc. and later Mary Kay Armenia on Armenian market entry requirements, procedures, business operation, licenses and risks, including on matters of labor and employment, import and customs clearance, sales force management, trade and taxation, etc.;
• Advised Atomredmetzoloto OJSC (Russia) – a Russian mining company, in its investment program with respect to Armenian Uranium mining and its current activities and transactions in Armenia.
• Advised European Investment Bank on a number of loan extensions to Armenian finance and regulatory institutions with respect to compliance with Armenian legislation.
• Advised the shareholders of “Hidroenergia LLC”, operating and maintaining “Yerevan Lake Hydro Power Plant” and “Kotayk Irrigation Canal Hydro Power Plant” selling all generated electricity on to ENA (Electricity Networks of Armenia).
• Represented Star Divide CJSC a retail company operating one of the major chains of supermarkets throughout Armenia before the State Commission on Protection of Economic Competition on price fixing issue. Assisted Star Divide CJSC in its shares purchase agreement with EBRD;
• Provided long term consulting and legal representation of the Save the Children Federation in the Ministry of Justice, Central Bank and Microenterprise Development Charitable Fund Kamurj, Consulted on Management structure and competences of the management bodies with a focus on the Board of Trustees.
Armenian Bar Association
Armenian, Russian, English and Ukrainian